Wednesday, March 31, 2004

ARC

Nothing to report, so I'll talk about the weather. Yesterday and today the sky was bright as June and I felt different about everything.

People rarely look up to see it, though they'd happily pay to go to the imax cinema or have a virtual reality headset on. Imagine all the people who were in galleries looking at Turner skies today, when the arc of infinity was there in all its glory above the chimney-pots.

Every time the sun shines, I am utterly transported. It's as if an oppressive weight has been lifted from me. Sometimes I think of Saturday afternoons as a child, free to wander the endless summer holidays. Or I imagine being alive in a different era under the same sun. Everything becomes imaginable.

When I used to live in Africa, the sun became quite ordinary and I longed for the cool and damp days. My heart sank when I saw the morning sky cloudless and thought of the heat of the day coming on. Seems hard to believe now!

No comments: