Thursday, May 27, 2004

ON THE THRESHOLD OF THE DHARMA

I really want to be a Buddhist. I think I'll be able to slip into the Dharma naturally - it's going to be fun. It feels like coming home. The only thing is I don't know how on earth I'll be able to give up alcohol after all this time we've been together, but I'm going to set a date for this.

The fundamental ideas of Buddhism are the closest approximation to "the truth" that mankind is going to get; the first paradox here is that there is no static truth - at all. Scientific "laws" may be a candidate (I'm not qualified to say) but anyone who tries to give definitive judgements on human nature or how to live will be challenged (or even howled down) immediately by an army of exceptions.

Buddhism is a way to come to terms with - and get through - this Dionysian reality, rather than having to fortify oneself or even struggle against it. The whole Dharma (teaching, lifestyle) begins and ends with a recognition of constant change.

Seeing this for what it is, it becomes clear that we cannot be happy by trying to shore up our defences against change. This is the essence of non-attachment to things, money, people, ideas, none of which are constant.

I used to think that non-attachment was rather distancing, and that Buddhism was a cold-hearted, passionless approach to life. On the contrary. The fruit of mindfulness and non-attachment is a deep reservoir of compassion. This chimes with me, certainly as something to aspire to.

The best thing is to find that, although the ideas come with strange Pali labels attached, many of them are things I've suspected for half my life.

No comments: